Saturday, November 10, 2007

Good Morals Only Matter for the Opposing Side

"Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo."
--Ambrose Bierce

There's been a lot of buzz this week about Pat Robertson, host of the 700 Club, deciding to endorse Rudy Giuliani for President. Now, I like Giuliani and thought he was a superb mayor of NYC and efficiently cleaned up the city. But their is an entire slue of reasons of why I will not be voting for him for President, but alas, that will have to be the topic of another post.

Pat Robertson, whose extreme Zionism, war-mongering, and fire and brimstone antics both scare and embarrass me, is proving my point that Republicanism is TOO intertwined with evangelical Christianity. Even though Giuliani does not line up with any of Robertson's moral agendas (some legit and some bizarre), except possibly bombing some Muslim countries, Robertson is supporting him. This bugs me for a few reasons. Mostly because if Giuliani was a democrat, Robertson would most certainly be publicly praying for lightening to strike him down lest judgment be poured out on us all...you know how that spiel goes. Just imagine one of the democratic candidates had Giuliani's background and political stances: married three times, committed adultery, cross-dressed (which I thought was funny by the way), was pro-choice, believed in gay equality, and gun control. I guarantee Robertson would not only refuse support, but would regularly denounce him.. But fortunately for Robertson's warped sense logic, Giuliani is a Republican, and politically-tarnished evangelical leaders only hold the opposing team (democrats) accountable for their moral faux pas. As Christians, we should extend grace, forgiveness and discretion for both republicans and democrats. But if one is going to take the route moral blasting, then don't be a hypocrite about it, and hold EVERYONE to the SAME standard.

Now, I don't want to see Giuliani's personal affairs dragged out into public and scrutinized, because I don't think it is anyone's business. But political evangelicals are SO willing do it with democrats and yet gloss over members of their own political party. That's why it bugs me. Once again, Christian ideals and principles have been exchanged for the tenets of republicanism by one of the most famous evangelical leaders in the U.S. When will we find a third way?

Article from Fox News on why Robertson chose Giuliani

8 comments:

Drew Tatusko said...

My hope is that this exposes Robertson's hypocrisy to all of his wanting supporters.

Unfortunately, he is more of a fashionable idea to support than a symbol of rationality. So I doubt this will reveal anything of his true absurdity to anyone save those who despise him, that is, those who approach him with even a modicum of rational engagement.

Now I am depressed (not your fault of course ;-). Good night.

INCPU News team said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
INCPU News team said...

Wow... very sad...

btw, my name is Steven. My family and I live in Fl, just north of Orlando.

Recently my family found an interesting guy ~ Pastor Chuck Baldwin. Have you heard of him? If you haven't, you are in for a treat!

Mr. Baldwin is just one in a group of leaders that are following Christ, teaching His Word and speaking up about corruption, like this with Pat Robertson. I encourage you to check out two sites that I think you will enjoy: www.christianworldviewnetwork.com and www.chuckbaldwinlive.com.

Please keep speaking up about the corruption you see... thank you for your part in reminding people that we need to go back building our lives on Christ.

a servant of Christ,
Steven

Anonymous said...

How true that if Giuliani was a democrat, that the religious right would sieze upon the skeletons in his closet! I hate the double-standard that partisan politics creates. Commitment to victory and oobtainment of power for one's own side overrides moral discernment and commitment to fairness, compassion, and forgiveness.

musicmommy3 said...

Right on Tia! I can't really add anything. You did a good job on this post.

Heather said...

As always - great thoughts.

I couldn't agree more re: Rudy's past and how that is glossed over as he is a Red candidate.

I have a present for you over at my site

Tia Lynn said...

Thank you! You are too kind! :)

Norah said...

Great share, thanks for writing this